Sunday, January 2, 2011

Getting Ready for the Book Launch

There is a very interesting conversation on Kindle Boards with Joe Konrath and the other Kindle authors on the subject of pricing. There is also a very interesting conversation on Goodreads about pre-publication publicity.

As I'm getting ready for a spring launch for "Swallow the Moon" I need to figure out what to do to generate some 'buzz' for the new book. To that end I have done a few things that I thought I would not do otherwise.
  • I re-joined Authonomy, posting "Let's Do Lunch" and creating a presence in the forums. The reason that I took this (drastic!) step was to promote my books. The changes to the rules appear to be working, so I will give them a chance.
  • I dropped the Amazon price of "Let's Do Lunch" to $1.99. This price change is in support of the Authonomy posting. We'll see if it does any good.
  • I've dug out and dusted off a couple short stories that I can turn into novelettes. These will go on sale for $.99 each.
  • I have actively started looking for opportunities to promote my books and my blog. This means dusting off an interview with Zoe Winters and being interviewed by others.
  • All of these action items are contingent on family matters remaining constant, at the very least, but I pray that the worst is over. Last year was 'interesting' in the worst possible sense of the word. It could have been a lot worse. Still my parents' illness, my husband's bike wreck and multiple hospitalizations sucked pretty damn bad. 
I've got my goals and my action plan. Stay tuned.

3 comments:

Jean Davis said...

Wow, rejoining Authonomy. Never thought I'd see that day. Hopefully it will be worth it. :)

Here's to a healthier, happier, less stressful year! *raises glass*

K. A. Jordan said...

Thanks Jean!

Yes, I debated my return to Autho for a long time. The long and short of it is that "Lunch" is not selling as many copies as it needs to.

When I was on Autho this blog got more hits than after I left. Hits here may translate as sales of the book. I won't know unless I try.

Even if it is 10 hits here for every sale, I could get a sale a day out of it. That is a huge uptick from 3 sales a month.

K. A. Jordan said...

PS - it has already started. I have more hits today than all last week.

AI -- Making Reading Less Interesting

The more content I read these days, the more of this odd syntax shows up. A word or two, just odd or out of place will tell you that the c...