Saturday, May 16, 2009

In Search of a Hook but Stuck with a Cliché

You know the pressure to get that hook. The agent blogs scream for that great first line, first 16 lines, first page, and first chapter.

Must have HOOK!

So what do we do? We create one. Chase scenes, nightmares, kill off 'throw away' characters.

I did it too - Mine was a 'woke from a terrible dream.' Yep, tacky to put it out there, but there it is.

There has to be a better way.

If I only knew what it was.

However, I have a dream – er – no that's even worse, that's plagiarism.

I, Ms Kitty, do hear-by swear that I will no longer start my stories with a cliché. No matter how tempting, no matter how powerful the image, I shall not be tempted by the 'dream' demon.

I shall abstain from the cliché opening.

Today.

No comments:

The Enthropy in Travel

Oh the pretty cabins! Pretty, pretty cabins! I'm gonna travel to a national forest and stay in a pretty cabin with all the fun things a ...